Does making an x on a mosquito bite work?

Does making an x on a mosquito bite work?

Growing up, many of us were told that to make a mosquito bite stop itching, simply use your fingernail to make an X-mark across the bite. While I recall it working some of the time, I don’t ever recall the itchy problem being permanently solved, so the question is does making an x across a mosquito bit work?

Well, the answer seems to be a personal choice. While some claim it works, others say it doesn’t with some even going as far as to say it’s the distraction in the pain of making the x that stops the itching.

The reason why it may or may not work is due to the bite itself. When a wasp or bee bite, they actually sting by injecting a venom. When a mosquito bites, it does not inject a venom, but instead, uses it’s straw-like nose to inject proboscis in order to suck up blood.

It is our body’s allergic reaction to the mosquito’s proboscis that causes the bump and itching, which means it’s a personal reaction. So while making an x may feel like the itching has decreased, the likeliness of that is at best, temporary.

A quick and simple at home remedy that may help with the itch is anything minty or menthol such as toothpaste, mouthwash or even muscle rubbing cream like Tiger Balm. While it won’t make that mosquito bump vanish, the menthol does help cool the area and diminish the itchy feeling since the itch from a mosquito bite can last as long as 3 or 4 days.